Friday 19 June 2015

Loughton Hall

Time Travel
For the first time on this project I felt a real sense of loss taking these pictures.  Now a care home, Loughton Hall was once the thriving home to Debden Community Association. The DCA used to have any number of activities from Astronomy to Winemaking , not to mention Gymnastics, Weightlifting, Wargaming, Angling, Shooting and a whole host of things I have forgotten.

It is sad that such a hub of the community has disappeared, The sports Hall is now flats and the rifle range is an ambulance station whilst the old house is preserved as a care home.

The old Manor of Loughton pictured in the illustration burnt down in 1836,  it wasn't until 1879 that The Maitland family built the house we see today.

21st Century

20th Century

18th Century ?

3 comments:

  1. My elder sister had both her 21st birthday party and her wedding reception there. I learnt karate there and was a member playing snooker, and just going for a drink and a game of darts with friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a founder member of the loughton hall community center,I and 3 others spent 4 years building the rifle range, I also used to train juniors in judo. I understand it is now a care home, I would like to hear from any past members.
    contact Ron Tredgett on email ronvont@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god! I am in love with this place. It looks beautiful, I have also booked one of the San Francisco venues just like this for my wedding day. I am getting married to the love of my life and I can’t express how happy I am, moreover the venue is great, I will get a lot of good memories I am sure!

    ReplyDelete